Associate Dean, School of Arts and Science
Red Deer College
This is an outstanding opportunity to play a key leadership role in the School of Arts and Sciences which is undergoing significant renewal of its faculty and evolution of its program mix. The School comprises approximately 100 faculty and staff and 1500 students in university transfer, career diploma, and open studies programs working together in a learner-centred environment.
The university transfer programs span a broad range of disciplines in the humanities, social sciences, and sciences (including engineering). Full degree programs are delivered at Red Deer College in collaboration with the University of Calgary in Psychology and Sociology. Diplomas are offered in Social Work and in Media Studies and Professional Communications. These diplomas prepare graduates for direct entry to employment or for transfer to university degree programs. The School of Arts and Sciences also provides required and elective courses for many other RDC programs, including collaborative degree programs in business administration, education, and nursing.
The School of Arts and Sciences connects tradition and innovation in order to provide an outstanding student experience that is both supportive and challenging. For over fifty years, programs in the School of Arts and Sciences have earned excellent reputations by upholding traditional values of discipline- based knowledge, critical thinking, research and scholarship, academic standards and integrity. At the same time, the School fosters innovation in the development of new programs and opportunities for inter-disciplinary and experiential learning, applied research, student leadership, and community engagement.
Through such initiatives and an abiding focus on excellence in teaching and learning, the faculty, students, and staff of the School of Arts and Sciences advance the mission of Red Deer College to strengthen and enrich the intellectual, economic, cultural and social development of Central Alberta.
The School of Arts and Sciences has two Associate Deans responsible for providing academic and operational leadership for the programs and faculty within areas of the School as assigned by the Dean. The division of responsibilities between the Associate Deans is currently under review and will be subject to consideration of the background and skills of the successful applicant. Applications are encouraged from individuals with backgrounds relevant to any area within the School of Arts and Sciences.
For more information contact:
Dr. Torben Andersen, Dean Phone: 403-342-3258
- Earned doctorate from a recognized institution with at least one graduate degree in a discipline relevant to the School of Arts and Sciences
- A minimum of five (5) years of successful post-secondary teaching experience
- A minimum of three (3) years of academic leadership experience
- Experience in program development and renewal
- Demonstrated commitment to professional development and scholarly activity
- Demonstrated commitment to fostering a learner-centred culture
- Excellent interpersonal, listening, oral, written, and conflict resolution skills
- Demonstrated analytical, research, critique and problem-solving skills
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively and collaboratively with different groups within an organization
- Strong work ethic, organizational skills, and attention to detail
- Proven ability to meet project deadlines and goals
- Demonstrated inclusive leadership style that inspires trust and confidence
- Proven ability to promote a positive environment through honesty, integrity, and ethical behaviour consistent with the core values of Red Deer College
- Progressively responsible academic leadership experience involving direct supervision of faculty (including recruitment and selection, development and coaching, performance assessment and management)
- Experience in budget management
Position Type: Permanent Full-Time
Position Start Date: August 1, 2017
Salary: Commensurate with education and experience
This competition will remain open until filled, however first review of applications will take place on June 12, 2017.
For more information on this position and to apply, please visit: https://employment.rdc.ab.ca/applicants/jsp/shared/Welcome_css.jsp and click on Administrative.