Associate Producer, CBC Books (English Services) – TOR05857
Position Language Requirement English Only
Language Skill Levels (Reading / Writing / Speaking) – – –
Status of Employment Contract
Work schedule(s) Full-time
What it’s like working at CBC/Radio-Canada
At CBC/Radio-Canada, we’re all about creating content that informs, entertains and connects Canadians on multiple platforms and from coast to coast to coast. Want to be part of all this, and think you have the ability and drive to keep pace with this exciting, ever-changing industry? Then we hope you’ll consider this posting, check out our job-listings, and explore the possibilities of working with us. Whether it be in front of the camera, on mic, online or or behind the scenes, you would be joining a team that thrives on making the connections and telling the stories that are important to Canadians.
CBC Radio Network Talk is searching for someone with a mix of journalistic, digital production and communication skills. As an Associate Producer with CBC Books, you will be working on the country’s premier website dedicated to books and authors, readers and writers.
Home to Canada Reads, Writers & Company with Eleanor Wachtel, The Next Chapter with Shelagh Rogers, Canada Writes and the CBC Literary Prizes, CBC Books features all of CBC’s rich literary content, major events, and programs, with the goal of making an impact by inspiring and influencing the choices of Canadian readers and writers.
Working under the direction and supervision of the Producer, the Associate Producer will bring a strong background in writing, journalism, social media and all things digital; excellent research skills; a passion for reading and writing; superior communication skills and meticulous attention to detail.
To be successful in this role, you’ll be articulate, capable of managing multiple priorities, well-read, organized and able to assist Producers as needed.
If you’re looking for an adventurous, creative, passionate and determined team, consider CBC Books.
In becoming the leader in expressing Canadian culture and enriching democratic life, we need to be as diverse in every way as the country we serve, both within our workforce and on air. As an employer, we value equal opportunity and nurture an inclusive workplace where our individual differences are not only recognized and valued, but also extend to and pervade all the services we provide as Canada’s public broadcaster.
With appropriate direction from one or more Producers, plans, conceives, organizes, and/or develops the production and realization of digital content. Work will adhere to CBC journalistic and/or program policies, standards and practices. Nevertheless, there is wide latitude for initiative, independent judgement and creativity.
- Participate in editorial meetings, pitch and research ideas;
- Assist in developing content, including writing, researching, and/or editing;
- From approved sources, assemble all required elements to build content (e.g. images, audio and/or video clips, etc.) and prepare them as needed (editing of clips and images);
- Build and test content, ensuring adherence to the CBC Books style and standards;
- Copy edit content created by others;
- Revise content based on performance as measured through analytics.
- Develop contacts and relationships that can promote our projects;
- Circulate content links to internal and external partners with request for action (e.g. please share this on social);
- Use social media to build awareness of writing challenges and partner content;
- Pitch ideas for expanding social media audiences and execute new initiatives as assigned by the Producer;
- Occasionally represent CBC Books at live events (e.g. book awards). These events may fall outside of regular office hours.
- Create and circulate site rundown to internal partners;
- Maintain contact files;
- Maintain CBC Books calendar;
- Answer audience mail, e-mail, and phone calls and manage any contests.
We are looking for a candidate with the following:
- University degree or equivalent. Degree in journalism or English or Canadian Literature is considered to be an asset for this role;
- Minimum of two years’ relevant experience during which you will have gained exposure to digital journalism and the technology of radio or television broadcasting;
- Expert knowledge of the Canadian writers and publishers;
- Experience managing writing projects, including commissioning and editing written work;
- Demonstrated ability to maintain and update a daily site, including some ability to build web pages using HTML and CSS;
- Experience with Content Management Systems is required;
- Basic knowledge of editing and uploading audio and video content, and of search engine optimization, metadata strategies, headline optimization, etc.;
- Intermediate knowledge of Adobe Photoshop and graphic design, including image research, editing, and creation; and social media platforms;
- Ability to moderate online communities and social media applications, including live chats and live web streaming, ensuring an appropriate level of discourse. Judgement is required in dealing with issues related to user-generated content, which includes the judgement to alert management to sensitive or questionable issues;
- Experience working with digital analytics tools including Adobe Marketing Cloud (Omniture SiteCatalyst), Chartbeat, Clicktale, etc. to assess and optimize performance of content;
- Experience with CBC platforms would be advantageous;
- Experience producing content for radio, including being a guest on radio shows, would be considered an asset;
- Good judgment and critical-thinking skills;
- Capacity to work in a high-pressure environment and to meet tight deadlines, without sacrificing creativity or quality;
- Ability to take critical feedback and incorporate it into the work;
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal, including the ability to clearly explain concepts to peers;
- Flexibility to adapt to changing work patterns and methods;
- Independent and self-motivated, combined with the ability to work well in a team environment;
- Strong organizational skills;
- Cultural awareness and sensitivity, and connection to diverse communities.
Candidates may be subject to skills and knowledge testing.
CBC/Radio-Canada is committed to being a leader in reflecting our country’s diversity. That’s because we can only create and tell the stories that connect Canadians, by having a workforce that mirrors the ever-changing makeup of our country. That’s why we, as an employer, value equal opportunity and nurture an inclusive workplace where our individual differences are not only recognized and valued, but also extend to and pervade all the services we provide as Canada’s public broadcaster. For more information, visit the Talent and Diversity section of our website. If you have accommodation needs at this stage of the recruitment process, please inform us as soon as possible by sending an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
If this sounds interesting, please apply online! We thank all applicants for their interest, but only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Job Posting Date
May 25, 2017, 9:00:00 PM
Jun 12, 2017, 8:59:00 PM