Founded in 1957 and holding its first conference in 1958, the Association of Canadian College and University Teachers of English (ACCUTE) promotes the study of English language, literatures, and other cultural material in a global context in Canadian colleges and universities.
ACCUTE Membership includes access to the annual conference, travel support for students, contract faculty and underwaged scholars, and a subscription to the scholarly journal ESC: English Studies in Canada.
Beginning in January 2021, ACCUTE will host a webinar series (free to members) focused on cutting-edge research, new creative writing, and professional concerns, including mental health, equity, diversity, and decolonization.
The ACCUTE office is hosted at Brock University for 2020-2022.
The 90th Congress of the Humanities and Social Sciences will be hosted virtually from the University of Alberta, May 27 – June 4, 2021.
Registration for CONGRESS 2021 is now OPEN! Click HERE to register.
For information about past and future conferences, please click here.
ACCUTE’s annual conference features nationally and internationally recognized scholars, and papers from across the range of periods, topics, and methodologies of English studies. Our programs also include sessions on professional and pedagogical concerns, as well as joint sessions with a number of other scholarly associations. This conference takes place at the annual meeting of the Congress of the Humanities and Social Sciences, including close to 100 scholarly and professional associations.
- Explore our newsletter archive, with over 25 years of ACCUTE history.
- Explore our professional discussions, call for papers, job advertisements, and much more in our blog, English Matters.
- Learn about our past and upcoming conferences.
- Learn about the Canadian Federation for the Humanities and Social Sciences.
- Join ACCUTE today!
- 2020: Western University, virtual events.
- 2019: University of British Columbia, June 1-4: program.
- 2018: University of Regina, May 26-29: program.
- 2017: Ryerson University, May 27-30: program
- 2016: University of Calgary, May 28 -31: program
- 2015: University of Ottawa, May 30 May – 2 June 2015: program
- 2014: Brock University, May 24 – 27: program
- 2013: University of Victoria, June 1- 4: program
- 2012: University of Waterloo & Wilfrid Laurier University, May 26 – 29: program
- 2011: University of New Brunswick & St. Thomas University, May 28 – 31: program
- 2010: Concordia University, May 28-31: program
Programs before 2010 were published in the March issues of our newsletter, and can be found on our newsletter page.