The Journal of L.M. Montgomery Studies, L.M. Montgomery Institute (LMMI), University of Prince Edward Island, invites applications for the position of Graduate Student Assistant, Journal Coordinator. The responsibilities of this position can be fulfilled remotely.
For full details, please click here.
The Graduate Student Assistant, under the direction of the Chair of the L.M. Montgomery Institute:
- Participates as member of the LMMI Committee, participating in monthly meetings (virtually), reporting on Journal activities, and providing feedback on LMMI initiatives
- Works closely with the Journal editor and co-editor as well as special collection editors, who are responsible for the intellectual/academic goals and functioning of the Journal and/or special collections
- Works closely with student editorial assistants, who upload articles to the website, make edits to the website, manage correspondence and files, create communications/marketing materials for the Journal (e.g., social media posts, quarterly newsletters)
- Oversees correspondence, folders, and files associated with the Journal (e.g., maintains workflow documents that keep track of peer reviewers, article status). Existing documentation and templates will be provided
- Coordinates the publication process, ensuring processes—peer review, copyediting, uploading—are completed in a timely manner and keeping records of all articles’ status
- Coordinates execution of author publication agreements (filling them out, having them signed by respective parties, submitting the agreement at UPEI, sharing fully executed agreements with relevant parties)
- Liaises with Robertson Library staff regarding website tweaks/upgrades, etc. as requested by or in consultation with the Journal co-editor
- Expands Journal’s reach (e.g., by applying for inclusion in the Directory of Open Access Journals)
- Plans, with editor, co-editor, and editorial assistant(s), the Journal’s Annual General Meeting (June 2022, in-person at the LMMI conference. Note: the Graduate Student Assistant does not need to be present in-person at the AGM)
- A graduate student in a field relevant to the Journal (e.g., literature, history, library sciences, museum studies, or other Arts/Humanities/Social Sciences fields)
- Evidence of being highly motivated and self-starting, not reliant on prompts from others to complete tasks; will take responsibility for completing tasks
- Experience participating in multiple projects simultaneously and completing work in a timely manner, according to established schedules
- Experience with administrative/organizational work (for example, planning an event, managing a project) or journal publication (in the humanities or social sciences)
- Capacity for working independently and with others (effective virtual communication is particularly important for this role)
- Knowledge of or engagement with L.M. Montgomery scholarship or related field(s), including, but not limited to, PEI history, children’s literature, women’s writing, is desirable
Priority will be given to University of Prince Edward Island students in accordance with Recruitment, Selection, Hiring and Employment Policies and the Procedures manual.
Please submit electronically a cover letter quoting the competition number, a resume and reference list to be received no later than the closing date, via the link posted on the UPEI Human Resources website (www.upei.ca/hr/). Applications will not be accepted via email.
If you are unable to apply online, you can drop off your resume to the Human Resources Department, Kelley Building, University of Prince Edward Island, 550 University Avenue, Charlottetown, PEI C1A 4P3, or fax it to (902) 894-2895.
UPEI will require mandatory full Covid 19 vaccination for all students, staff, and faculty. Exemptions only apply for medical, religious, or cultural reasons in accordance with the UPEI Covid 19 mandatory vaccination policy.
In accordance with Canadian immigration requirements, all qualified student candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadian citizens, permanent residents and full-time international students with a valid study permit will be given priority.
The University of Prince Edward Island is committed to gender equity in employment. Only those applicants who are invited to an interview will be acknowledged.
Apply for Graduate Student Assistant – Journal Coordinator – L.M. Montgomery Institute – Faculty of Arts (165S21)
Position: Graduate Student Assistant; Hours of Work: Up to 10 hours per week; Salary: $23.45 per hour (plus 4% vacation pay); Term: As soon as possible to April 30, 2023 (Term may be reduced or extended depending on performance, available funding, and departmental requirements).
UPEI encourages all qualified applicants to apply for job openings; however, in keeping with the terms and provisions of the university’s various employment and collective agreements, first priority will be given to internal candidates.
Categories: Contract or Sessional Job Postings
Leave a Reply