The Department of English at Kwantlen Polytechnic University invites applications for two or more one year, 50% Non-Regular Type Two (part-time temporary) faculty positions commencing January 1 2022. A 50% NR2 position would involve teaching four sections in the Spring semester, with the possibility of additional work (up to four sections) in Summer 2022 and/or Fall 2022. Candidates can find out more about the rights and responsibilities of NR-2 faculty by visiting the KPU-KFA Collective Agreement.
The courses will be offered in person, and the successful candidate may be asked to teach on two of KPU’s four campuses in spring (Surrey, Richmond, Langley, or Surrey Civic Plaza campuses).
Primary teaching duties will include two or more sections of ENGL 1100: Introduction to University Writing and may include one section of the following: ENGL 1202: Reading and Writing About Selected Topics: An Introduction to Literature or ENGL 1204: Reading and Writing About Genre: An Introduction to Literature. Descriptions of these courses can be found at here.
Only in exceptional circumstances are Non-Regular Faculty called upon to teach upper-level courses.
The position would come with an expectation of meaningful university service.
For more information about the English Department and our Bachelor program, please click here.
More information concerning the working conditions for a faculty member are outlined in Article 12 of the Kwantlen Faculty Association (KFA) Collective Agreement.
• A completed PhD, or evidence of imminent completion of a PhD, in English or literary studies
• A current record of, or potential for, scholarly activity/ service
• Evidence of teaching excellence at the undergraduate level
• Experience teaching English at the undergraduate level in the past five years
Preference will be given to candidates with
• A two-year record of excellence in teaching (composition and literature) at the undergraduate level
• Demonstrated expertise in instruction of first-year academic writing
• Experience teaching a diverse student body
• Innovative, diverse, and inclusive approaches to pedagogy and scholarship
• A focus on student success
• Dedication to a pedagogical culture of care and compassion
• Demonstrated commitment to departmental service
• In addition to the above, training and experience in one of the following areas would be desirable: Latinx Literatures; AAPI Literatures; Queer Studies (LGBTQIA2S+); Disability Studies; Critical Animal Studies/Ecocriticism; Experiential and/or Service Learning; Rhetoric and Composition
A complete application must include a cover letter, a curriculum vitae, a description of teaching philosophy, sample teaching evaluations, a recent writing sample or a relevant publication, and a list of three references able to comment on your teaching and academic qualifications.
We thank all applicants for their interest in KPU; however, only those selected for further consideration will be contacted. Applicants invited to be interviewed will be required to provide copies of official transcripts.
All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority.
For full details and to apply visit: http://www.kpu.ca/hr/careeropportunity
Note to Applicants
The University welcomes and encourages applications from women, visible minorities, Indigenous persons, persons with disabilities, persons of any sexual orientation, and persons of any gender identity or gender expression. If you require an accommodation through our hiring process, please include your request in the application email.
We thank all applicants for their interest in employment with KPU. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Kwantlen Polytechnic University is committed to protecting the safety and welfare of employees, students, and the general public, and upholding the reputation and integrity of the University. For this reason, final applicants will be asked to undergo a background check.
Categories: Contract or Sessional Job Postings
Leave a Reply