The Implementing New Knowledge Environments (INKE) Partnership seeks a candidate for a two-year postdoctoral fellowship (Open Scholarship Research & Technical Development) to collaborate on an international partnership project focused on open social scholarship. Review of applications for this two-year contracted postdoctoral position (with possibility of renewal) will begin immediately, with start date flexible and anticipated to be in the new academic year.
The postdoctoral fellow position is located in the Electronic Textual Cultures Lab (ETCL)at the University of Victoria at a full-time (40 hours per week) capacity. This position works with the INKE Partnership and ETCL teams on several initiatives, including the Canadian Humanities and Social Sciences Research Commons and developing digital humanities projects within an academic framework.
The ETCL is a leading-edge digital humanities research lab, working on a variety of exciting projects. The INKE Partnership is an international collective of researchers, students, postdocs, and research partners from across Canada and around the world pursuing open social scholarship. Self-motivated personalities are essential, as is a proclivity for collaboration and teamwork. Individual development and new ideas are encouraged!
Experience & Qualifications
The successful candidate should hold a doctorate in computer science or other relevant degree program (e.g. digital humanities) and be able to demonstrate skilled proficiency in the following tools and technologies:
1. Strong programming fundamentals and aptitude for / experience with the following:
- Agile software development
- XML/XSLT/HTML5/CSS3 and W3C Standards
- Relational databases (esp. MySQL and PostgreSQL)
- Content management systems, including WordPress and Drupal
- Web server administration: Apache, Nginx
- Remote Linux server deployment and administration
- Project management
- Distributed version control systems (based on Git)
2. Commitment to and interest in contributing to Free or Open Source Software (F/OSS)
3. Experience in distributed collaboration using git, mailing lists, and issue tracking software
4. Additional consideration given for:
- Experience with current interface development using AJAX, JQuery, Node.js, Bootstrap or similar frameworks
- Experience with graphic design in a web-based context
- Experience with Solr and Tika
- Experience with Shibboleth, OpenID Connect and/or other SSO technologies
- Experience with other web framework and search engines, such as Ruby on Rails and Elasticsearch
5. The ability and desire to learn technologies on this list that the candidate lacks is an asset. Position Duties
- Collaborate on the continued development of the Canadian HSS Commons, an in-development, national, online research commons built on the HUBzero platform
- Develop, implement, and manage database-driven websites in a humanities research context
- Participate in meetings and constructive discussion with other team members
- Engage in requirement elicitation
- Offer consultation, technical planning, and project solutions
- Understand humanities concepts and find ways to realize them as technical solutions
- Provide reporting and documentation
- Make positive contributions to the life and activities of the lab
- Work closely with ETCL team members across position duties while upholding the ETCL’s respect- and care-based environment.
Benefits of Role
- Community-oriented work environment predicated on a foundation of respect and mutual interest in open ways of doing academic work
- Opportunities to network and present at national and occasionally international conferences and events
- Experience in a longstanding digital humanities lab and well-known research group
- Opportunities to collaborate with researchers and partners invested in open scholarship from UVic, across Canada, and internationally
- Publication possibilities in open access venues
- Location in beautiful Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
How to Apply
To apply for this position, please submit an application package containing your CV, a cover letter, and the contact information for three referees to email@example.com.
The position is in the form of a two-year contract with possibility of renewal and negotiable start date. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Salary for this position is at standard UVic postdoctoral fellow rates and will be commensurate with experience and qualifications.
Leave a Reply