Provost and Dean, Faculty of Arts and Social Science
Huron University College
Huron University College invites applications for the position of:
PROVOST AND DEAN, FACULTY OF ARTS AND SOCIAL SCIENCE
Established in 1863, Huron University College is the founding college of Western University and offers liberal arts and theological programs. Huron is distinguished by its small classes and teaching excellence in a personal, supportive community. Huron is committed to providing its students with an engaging and challenging educational experience that gives them a distinct advantage throughout their entire lives.
The Provost and Dean, Faculty of Arts and Social Science (Provost and Dean) will provide leadership in all academic matters at Huron University College. Reporting to the Principal, the Provost and Dean will work collaboratively with other members of the senior leadership team to advance the mission and vison of Huron, both nationally and internationally. Working with the Dean of Theology, the Provost and Dean will hold the responsibility for ensuring the quality of all academic activities and programs at Huron and for leading the development of strategic academic directions. The Provost and Dean will promote and support the highest standards in academic excellence and innovation, including research, teaching and learning, curriculum and program development, and intellectual activity.
The successful candidate will have a record of teaching excellence and scholarly publication in one of the departmental areas of Huron’s Faculty of Arts and Social Science, consistent with appointment to the rank of tenured associate or full professor, and:
- A strong understanding, and appreciation of the mission of a liberal arts university such as Huron;
- Substantial experience as a senior academic administrator, serving as Provost and/or Dean;
- Demonstrated record of providing leadership in areas of academic budgeting and strategic planning;
- Demonstrated record of successful oversight of curriculum development, academic planning, faculty appointments and development;
- Proven success at setting, implementing, monitoring and evaluating academic priorities and initiatives at all levels of the institution;
- Committed to working collaboratively with faculty, students and staff to enhance and support the student learning experience at Huron;
- A thorough understanding of the financial and administrative issues that must be given consideration when making academic decisions;
- A flexible and adaptable working style to organize, prioritize and manage multiple tasks and competing deadlines;
- Demonstrated judgement and problem solving capabilities with a high degree of integrity, ethics and dedication to the mission of Huron;
- High level of cultural competence, values, ethics, and principles that align with the Huron community and culture;
- Enthusiasm for joining and supporting a strong leadership team to advance the strategic direction for Huron at a time of extraordinary opportunity;
- Well-honed and developed interpersonal skills to represent Huron professionally;
- Exceptional oral and written communication skills.
The appointment will commence on July 1, 2017 and be for an initial five (5) year term.
Consideration of applications will begin Monday, December 19, 2016, and continue until the position is filled. Letters of application and a current curriculum vitae, including three references (who will not be contacted without permission of the candidate), should be submitted in confidence to:
Director, Human Resources
Huron University College
1349 Western Road
London, ON, N6G 1H3
Huron University College values its place in an interconnected world and desires to reflect this value, acknowledging our responsibility to strive towards a diverse and equitable employment and educational environment that recognizes the inherent worth and dignity of every person. We welcome applications from women and men, visible minorities, Aboriginal people, persons with disabilities, and persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity.
Applications from all qualified individuals are invited; however, Canadian citizens and permanent residents will be given hiring priority. We thank all applicants for their interest, only those selected to proceed in the competition will be contacted. Should you require accommodation in making an application please contact Huron at 519-438-7224.