The Department of English at Kwantlen Polytechnic University invites applications for addition to the Qualified Faculty List (QFL). When on the Qualified Faculty List, candidates may be offered work should it become available.
Successful candidates who are added to the Qualified Faculty List and who are offered work should note that courses will be offered in person, and candidates may be asked to teach on any of KPU’s four campuses (Surrey, Richmond, Langley, or Surrey Civic Plaza campuses).
Primary teaching duties may include a section or sections of ENGL 1100: Introduction to University Writing, ENGL 1202: Reading and Writing About Selected Topics: An Introduction to Literature, or ENGL 1204: Reading and Writing About Genre: An Introduction to Literature. Descriptions of these courses can be found at https://calendar.kpu.ca/courses-az/engl/.
Only in exceptional circumstances are Non-Regular Faculty called upon to teach upper-level courses.
The position would come with an expectation of meaningful university service.
- A completed PhD, or evidence of imminent completion of a PhD, in English or literary studies
- A current record of, or potential for, scholarly activity/service
- Evidence of teaching excellence at the undergraduate level
- Experience teaching English at the undergraduate level in the past five years
Preference will be given to candidates with:
- A two-year record of excellence in teaching (composition and English literature) at the undergraduate level
- A demonstrated record of teaching online courses
- Demonstrated expertise in instruction of first-year academic writing
- Experience teaching a diverse student body
- Innovative, diverse, and inclusive approaches to pedagogy and scholarship
- A focus on student success
- Dedication to a pedagogical culture of care and compassion
- Demonstrated commitment to departmental service
- In addition to the above, training and experience in one of the following areas would be desirable: Latinx Literatures; AAPI Literatures; Middle Eastern Literatures; African Literatures; Disability Studies; Queer Literatures; Ecocriticism/Animal Studies; Experiential and/or Service Learning; Writing or Composition Studies
A complete application must include a cover letter, a curriculum vitae, a description of teaching philosophy, sample teaching evaluations, a sample course syllabus for ENGL1100 Introduction to University Writing, a recent writing sample or a relevant publication, and a list of three references able to comment on your teaching and academic qualifications.
Applicants invited to be interviewed will be required to provide copies of official transcripts.
This post is open until filled.
Note to Applicants
The University welcomes and encourages applications from women, visible minorities, Indigenous persons, persons with disabilities, persons of any sexual orientation, and persons of any gender identity or gender expression. If you require an accommodation through our hiring process, please include your request in the application email.
We thank all applicants for their interest in employment with KPU. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Kwantlen Polytechnic University is committed to protecting the safety and welfare of employees, students, and the general public, and upholding the reputation and integrity of the University. For this reason, final applicants will be asked to undergo a background check.
All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority.
Categories: Contract or Sessional Job Postings