ROTHERMERE AMERICAN INSTITUTE VISITING FELLOWSHIPS 2017-18
The RAI invites applications for Visiting Research Fellowships for 2017-18.
The closing date is 30 January 2017.
RAI Visiting Research Fellowships
Visiting Research Fellowships (VRFs) provide an opportunity for early to mid-career academics to conduct research at the Rothermere American Institute, the foremost academic institution beyond America’s shores for teaching and research in US culture, history, literature and politics.
VRFs pursue research on diverse aspects of American culture, history, literature and politics in Oxford’s libraries, including the Institute’s Vere Harmsworth Library, which holds outstanding collections of American materials. VRFs are expected to use their time at the Institute to write books and articles, and to engage with the Institute’s lively community of scholars.
All VRFs have full access to the Vere Harmsworth Library – home to the finest academic collections in American history, politics and government outside North America – and to other libraries within the Bodleian Library system. The VRF is expected to spend at least three working days each week at the RAI and to give an academic paper at the Institute during the Fellowship period. The RAI is unable to offer stipends, but provides the VRF with a travel grant of up to £200 each term for research (the last two points do not apply to Vacation VRFs).
Fellowships are tenable for one or two terms, or for a full academic year. For dates of term, see http://www.ox.ac.uk/about/facts-and-figures/dates-of-term
Three types of VRF are offered:
- Postdoctoral VRFs are academics who have recently completed a doctorate, or are at an early stage of their academic career. Fellowships are tenable for one or two terms, with up to two Postdoctoral VRFs in residence at any one time. The Fellow is provided with a fully equipped office with views of the RAI garden.
- Associate VRFs are likely to have academic posts in the UK or elsewhere. Their teaching and research is within the field of the RAI’s core activities. This fellowship is tenable for a full academic year. Applications for periods of Fellowship of less than one year will be considered in exceptional circumstances. The Institute is unable to guarantee office space to Associate VRFs.
- Vacation VRFs are likely to have academic posts in the UK or elsewhere but will intend to conduct research in Oxford during the summer. This fellowship is tenable from June to September. The Institute is unable to guarantee office space to Vacation VRFs.
HOW TO APPLY:
An application consists of 4 elements:
- A completed RAI Fellowship application form. This can be downloaded from http://www.rai.ox.ac.uk/sites/default/files/RAI%20Fellowship%20application%20form%202017-18.doc
- A curriculum vitae of no more than two pages
- A one-page outline of the research to be undertaken during the Fellowship. This should include the title of the project(s) to be undertaken, a summary of the project, its research question and intellectual significance, as well as prospective publication plans.
- Two academic references in support of the applicant, which must reach the Institute by the application deadline.
Full applications may be submitted either by email to email@example.com or by post to the Fellowships Committee, Rothermere American Institute, 1a South Parks Road, Oxford, OX1 3UB.
The deadline is 30 January 2017. The selection committee reserves the right not to consider late or incomplete applications.